[OpenIndiana-discuss] ~6 minutes to OI banner/boot options in text install

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Sat Jan 30 16:33:37 UTC 2021

> On 30. Jan 2021, at 16:22, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 08:19:16AM +0200, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>>
>>> On 30. Jan 2021, at 03:57, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>>
>>> The loader works in UEFI mode, but OI does not.  Usually you are
>>> offered a choice at boot time.  Chose BIOS mode.
>>
>> What you mean by “OI does not”?
>
> In my experience with the OI live USB image, it would run in either
> mode.  Even the installer worked correctly.  However, when I tried to
> boot the disk where I just installed, it failed in UEFI mode.  It
> worked in BIOS mode.
>
> The problem was likely with the VESA video driver, which is run as a
> last resort by Xorg.  The VESA driver makes BIOS calls that fail when
> there is no BIOS.  I'm using the Radeon HD 7450 video card that only
> works with the VESA driver.  Hence OI boot only works in BIOS mode.
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log tells the tale.

oh, well, in that case, the issue is not about OI not working in UEFI mode (because it does), but the issue is that Xorg can not use vesa driver when there is no vesa bios (which is perfectly good reason). Also, having to run OI in BIOS mode because you need to run Xorg, is also good reason, but you can not tell that OI does not work with UEFI, because that is not true:)

Of course the root cause is about missing DRM driver and thats the reason why you need to use vesa in first place….

Just to keep records correct,
toomas