[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana as a server.

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sun Jan 31 17:38:39 UTC 2021

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana as a server., Jason...:

> Thank you.
> Why you do it if If there is a desire and why not do it regularly?

Other contributors have their own answers to this question, but my
answer is fairly straightforward.

I have a limited (and worse, unpredictable) amount of time that I can
spend on stuff related to OI.  Additionally, I don't yet have the
experience to tackle really complicated package updates, like the openssl
update that Aurélien recently brought up.

That often means that I must "budget" my time with OI.  It also means
that sometimes I pick tasks that are more interesting to me or I update
packages that are the most useful to me.  In the past, I've also sometimes
tried to take easier package updates that are requested, so that the
expert contributors can focus on the more complicated updates.

In this particular case, I'm not using PHP on OI (at least, right now)
and I also haven't seen anyone else ask recently about getting a recent
version.  That means that I'm not going to volunteer to update it
regularly, because that may be effort that is of little value to anyone.
If, however, there is a real interest or need for a recent version, then
I would offer to investigate updating it, since I suspect that the update
will be easy and it would allow others to focus on the more complicated
tasks.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)