[OpenIndiana-discuss] automount does not work!

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 18 18:34:04 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 04:48:56PM +0000, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> Today I installed OI using the latest DVD on 4 different
> machines. One machine had an old nvidia card and I had to create a
> new BE. By entering the command to uninstall the driver, I noticed
> that pkg command installed the 340.XX driver at the end. This is
> just great!  However, I have noticed that USB thumb disks cannot be
> automounted. Yes I can manually mount a USB thumb disk but that is
> all. This means something is broken in the distribution.

That's an interesting finding.  I checked two of my systems that have
the automount problem: Both have the nvidia-390 package.  None of my
systems use Nvidia graphics.  I'll try removing that package from one
of them to see what happens to USB stick mounting.  There does appear
to be some interaction between hal (supplied by illumos) and X11
(supplied by OI).