[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 2020.10 install disk FAIL #2 !!!

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 01:15:39 UTC 2021

Following hints from others, I used a *working* copy of gparted to put a GPT label on a 5 TB disk in advance of attempting to install OI.

I took photos of the screen should anyone question this, but I don't see a reason to post them lest they cost someone on a measured connection.  After the OI fail, I booted gparted and took a picture of what it reported to verify that it was what I had done.

The simple fact of the matter is both the text and the GUI install completely ignore the GPT label on the disk.

I created a 2 GB partition, a 100 GB partition and allocated the rest of the disk to a 3rd partition.  I then booted the OI disk which ignored the partitioning and refused to use more than 2 TB.

This is simply a failure to actually test the image before release.  Relative to creating a distribution ISO image, testing it is vanishingly little work.  I do not know and do not care whose neck this albatross should be hung around.  But I firmly hope that those who do know remove this person from the role.  This does more damage to OI than can be described.  I have multiple Z400s and an Ultra 20 as well as several functional older machines.  I shall be more than happy to test an install image before it is put up for general use.

I was, and still am willing to work on OI.  But the lack of anything resembling cooperation makes that rather difficult.  The computer is the final arbiter.  If OI fails on a system Sun certified for Solaris 10 there is a very serious QC issue.  You can't blame this on the difficulties posed by "arbitrary hardware".

Reg