[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Tue Mar 2 04:43:43 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 10:03 AM, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> In light of the use cases for format(1m) I find it difficult to imagine why it would need to communicate with anything else other than to assert a mutex to prevent other processes from doing something stupid while it ran.
>
> I have the most recent monographs on FreeBSD, Solaris Internals and ZFS arriving later this week.
>
> If there is anything worth saying I shall comment once I've read them. But my admiration for Solaris has been severely affected.
>
> "Tis but a scratch, but it is enough. If you look for me on the morrow, you shall find me a very grave man." With apologies to Will for any failures of my memory.
>
> Reg

Solaris on the Sun day and Linux on the Redhat day is almost the same. If you look for an OS follows the KISS principle, try FreeBSD. Solaris and Linux are never about reduce the complexity of things but more about integrated. Modern Linux is following the same path of past Solaris. SystemD is their fake clone of SMF. Anyone hates Linux for its complexity, for SystemD becoming the all in one tool,... should not go to Solaris. They are basically the same.

Don't admire something too easily only because you read the hype from other people. Don't ride the hype. It's all advertisements anyway! Most of the hypes about the superiority of Solaris over Linux are outdated. Modern Linux beats Solaris, the real Oracle Solaris, let alone a fake Solaris like we are. We are outdated and lagged behind Linux a very long distance, in some ways we even lagged behind FreeBSD. Just count the numbers of Solaris admin refugees go to FreeBSD and you will know. Even though they still praise Solaris occasionally on the FreeBSD forums, they are no longer use any instance of it or converting to FreeBSD completely.

One thing I admire about SystemD more than SMF is SystemD doesn't use XML. Someone on the FreeBSD said XML was invented by someone from Sun, too. This is the reason why XML was so abused on Solaris, they use XML everywhere, regardless of it's suitable or not. SystemD's service files are plain text, though.

Solaris was over-engineered, they used the best technology of their time but now they are no longer backed by a big corporation (Oracle Solaris lays off, check the news, and OI always has no backing anyway), and the technology trendy at that time now outdated, we are left with a big mess. This mess needs refactoring, to be more simpler to be suitable for the changed situation. But compatibility as the holy grail haunted us, preventing any useful changes. So we left in a state of barely alive but not really dead.

If it's me as the team leader I will nuke all of the outdated leftovers by Sun and started to port new things from other systems if we don't have the ability to code from scratch our own new things. But again, you have to realize what OI is. It's just a GUI ontop of Illumos, maintained by very few people, it's oi-userland after all, the things we need to change are on illumos-gate, that we have no control over and no power to change. Illumos-gate served the same role as the Linux kernel for us.

Just my 2 cents.