[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Han Sapta han.sapta at gmx.com
Tue Mar 2 07:58:37 UTC 2021

cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss wrote on 02/03/2021 04:43:
> Don't admire something too easily only because you read the hype from other people. Don't ride the hype. It's all advertisements anyway! Most of the hypes about the superiority of Solaris over Linux are outdated. Modern Linux beats Solaris, the real Oracle Solaris, let alone a fake Solaris like we are. We are outdated and lagged behind Linux a very long distance, in some ways we even lagged behind FreeBSD. Just count the numbers of Solaris admin refugees go to FreeBSD and you will know. Even though they still praise Solaris occasionally on the FreeBSD forums, they are no longer use any instance of it or converting to FreeBSD completely.

My company (perhaps a rare bird), did the opposite, moved from
FreeBSD to illumos (both SmartOS and OmniOS, some engineers use
OI as desktop).

I have been FreeBSD sysadmin for 20 years. I was originally quite
reluctant at the move, but, frankly, there is not a single day I
am not in awe of the sheer genius of original Solaris
engineering.

I guess it depends on one's Weltanschauung.

Even looking at the contributions to illumos gate, OI and OmniOS
I am in awe at the quantity and outstanding quality of the work.

Coming from FreeBSD, with all due respect to the FreeBSD
brilliant people, I feel like we are still infants.

I am deeply grateful to OI, OmniOS and SmartOS developers for
keeping ilumos alive and thriving.

Han