[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Tue Mar 2 11:20:03 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 2:58 PM, Han Sapta <han.sapta at gmx.com> wrote:

> Coming from FreeBSD, with all due respect to the FreeBSD
> brilliant people, I feel like we are still infants.
>
> I am deeply grateful to OI, OmniOS and SmartOS developers for
> keeping ilumos alive and thriving.
>
> Han
>
> openindiana-discuss mailing list

I don't know why every Solaris refugees I met on the FreeBSD forums praise Solaris, too. I think they are sincere. But the fact is they are migrating/already migrated from Solaris to FreeBSD, I think it's more to do with emotion rather than real quality of the OS.

Yours should be a rare case IMHO.

And yeah, FreeBSD's tools are not as sophisticated as Solaris. As I said, FreeBSD embraces the KISS principle, but Solaris and now modern Linux choose more integrated and functionalities, this lead to over-engineering with all in one tools like SystemD emerging.

It's all depends on personal opinion. Check of man page of FreeBSD's pkg, a fake clone of IPS pkg:

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pkg&sektion=&n=1

and the real IPS pkg:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E36784_01/html/E36870/pkg-1.html

you could easily tell who is the beast in term of complexity and functionalities.

I personally prefer the simpler tool that just done it job.

Another weakness of FreeBSD is the init system of it that has to be mitigated by tools like daemontools. Some embrace the KISS principle praise it for it deterministic and simplicity. But when comparing with Solaris' SMF and FMA, FreeBSD's RC init system is a joke. That's real. FreeBSD's RC init system loses to SystemD, too, even though they don't want to admit it.