[OpenIndiana-discuss] Identify type of disk

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Tue Mar 2 15:11:40 UTC 2021

NVMe "disks" are managed (only?) using nvmeadm:
nvmeadm namespace -v

should list them.

(apparently "nvmeadm list" lists controllers, which can have one or more namespaces (sections of its total storage which more or less correspond to disks))

I don't know if any sort of NVM drive that doesn't meet the NVMe standard would be recognized.

If you see "ssd" on Solaris etc, it usually refers to a Fibre Channel connected disk, NOT to a Solid-State Drive (flash) using an otherwise conventional interface (IDE, SATA, SCSI, SAS, USB, etc). I can't think of a way to tell a spinning drive from a solid-state drive that would give a simple answer without having to decide based on the drive make and model (which you typically can find out).

I don't have anything running Solaris on bare metal on x86, nor anything on SPARC at home that's new enough for nvmeadm to apply or with flash drives, so I can't actually try anything except google or RTFM (or read code, if I wanted to spend the time). (I have some older SPARC at home, the newest of which being a T5240; that sort of thing has to be old enough that it can be obtained from eBay at a reasonable price, and not need 220V or otherwise special power; and I don't have much space left for more toys anyway).