[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does OI compress the zpool by default?

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Tue Mar 2 16:15:41 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-28 07:38, cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> zfs get compression and zfs get compressratio results seemed to tell that
> it's not
> on by default. But, why?
The reason is or should be, because of its potential cost. That is;
compression can consume a great deal more CPU cycles. So if the host has
limited resources, either outright or because of work load. Then compression
will not be an advantage, and may swamp the system. Further, in several
implementations several of the settings are somewhat dynamic, and can be
"tuned".
Compression being one of them.

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered. I'm in the
process of getting caught up on my mail. :-)

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX