[OpenIndiana-discuss] Do you ever think about adopting APT+DPKG?

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Tue Mar 2 17:42:53 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-01 06:33, cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> We have the tech there. Well adapted for our needs. APT+DPKG based Illumos
> distro
> is not unpopular. Some distros even use RPM.
>
> Most historic APT+DPKG based distros already dead, only DilOS is left now.
> So we
> could have a look at DilOS, the way they patched and utilizing APT+DPKG and
> we can
> even co-operate with them, if both side wanted.
>
> We already see too many problems of the IPS pkg. Could we switch to another
> path?
>
> I know compatibility haunted us. But recently we broke it already. It's no
> longer
> the holy grail we have to keep at all cost anymore.
>
> Could we patch our oi-userland to generate DEB packages alongside of IPS
> packages?
>
> The DilOS people has figured out how to build illumos-gate into DEB packages
> already.
>
> This will not as hard as doing from scratch as we have many references.
There are many possible "package managers" available. Some have already been
recobbled
to support Solaris derivatives. But IMHO the DEB package managers are not as
efficient
as many of the others, it's a real "cache thrasher". Many of the others are
more DB
centric. Which tends to make them much faster and less resource abusive.

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX