[OpenIndiana-discuss] Do you ever think about adopting APT+DPKG?

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 17:56:24 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 11:43 AM Chris <oidev at sunos.info> wrote:

> On 2021-03-01 06:33, cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> > We have the tech there. Well adapted for our needs. APT+DPKG based
> Illumos
> > distro
> > is not unpopular. Some distros even use RPM.
> >
> > Most historic APT+DPKG based distros already dead, only DilOS is left
> now.
> > So we
> > could have a look at DilOS, the way they patched and utilizing APT+DPKG
> and
> > we can
> > even co-operate with them, if both side wanted.
> >
> > We already see too many problems of the IPS pkg. Could we switch to
> another
> > path?
> >
> > I know compatibility haunted us. But recently we broke it already. It's
> no
> > longer
> > the holy grail we have to keep at all cost anymore.
> >
> > Could we patch our oi-userland to generate DEB packages alongside of IPS
> > packages?
> >
> > The DilOS people has figured out how to build illumos-gate into DEB
> packages
> > already.
> >
> > This will not as hard as doing from scratch as we have many references.
> There are many possible "package managers" available. Some have already
> been
> recobbled
> to support Solaris derivatives. But IMHO the DEB package managers are not
> as
> efficient

I'd say this is largely an academic argument. I have 3 machines that use
apt + deb with no associated issues. Actually, # apt dist-upgrade on Debian
Buster, Ubuntu 20.10, and Raspberry Pi OS Buster runs MUCH faster than #
pkg update -v -r on OI Hipster with approximately the same underlying
hardware (Intel Core 2nd Gen, 16 GB RAM) for the OI, Debian, and Ubuntu
machines.

as many of the others, it's a real "cache thrasher".

I don't think this is an issue if you have a decent (e.g. Samsung 860 Evo
or better) SSD with good endurance specs.

Many of the others are