[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does OI compress the zpool by default?

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Wed Mar 3 08:45:16 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-02 18:54, cretin1997 wrote:
> [...]
 From a "server" perspective, I *completely* agree. OTOH a "server" OS that
presents
itself as a live desktop with the option to install, attracts "desktop"
users. So...
Further; ZFS compression isn't as simple as "throwing a switch"; there's a
reasonable
amount of "tuning" that compression involved. On one hand, if you've not got
that much
in your pool(s). _immidiate_ compression if of little value. ZFS send/reveive
is
another matter, and so on...
Seems to me, the best solution might be setting a "default" level/algo, and
provide
an option in the installer to enable it.

That's _my_ take on it. :-)

--Chris