[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does OI compress the zpool by default?

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 3 02:54:46 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 11:15 PM, Chris <oidev at sunos.info> wrote:

> On 2021-02-28 07:38, cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>
> The reason is or should be, because of its potential cost. That is;
> compression can consume a great deal more CPU cycles. So if the host has
> limited resources, either outright or because of work load. Then compression
> will not be an advantage, and may swamp the system. Further, in several
> implementations several of the settings are somewhat dynamic, and can be
> "tuned".
> Compression being one of them.
>
> Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered. I'm in the
> process of getting caught up on my mail. :-)
>
> --Chris
>

> --
> ~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
> ~40yrs of UNIX

Except this easy to easy to change from not compressed to compressed. Setting the attribute alone not work. If you think have to do send/recv everything to get it compressed is a pleasure task, especially you have to do this every time after you installed a new system, I have nothing to say anymore. Why don't it just the thing already set to be compressed from the beginning? It will save much time and space for the user!

BTW, FreeBSD seemed to turn on lz4 compression by default. Nowadays with modern hardware, it's sane to turn it on by default. Your arguments about an old system should be dismissed completely. None of the Illumos is for old and weak system. Illumos is a resource hog.