[OpenIndiana-discuss] nvidia problem

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Thu Mar 4 16:15:00 UTC 2021

Am 04.03.21 um 10:29 schrieb Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss:
> On Thursday, March 4, 2021, 10:40:56 AM GMT+2, Stephan Althaus <stephan.althaus at duedinghausen.eu> wrote:
>

>>> Hi Apostolos,
>>>
>>> You might need to replace OI nvidia driver with one from their site
>>> [1], [2]
>>>
> OK but as I have wrote in my original message I
> need to remove the xorg-something package but this
> package is a prerequisite for the install_mate
> package! SO i have to delete mate and then xorg
> to insatll the new nvidia driver but then I will
> not be able to install mate!!! This is a real problem!
>
> A.S.

As far as I remember running NVIDIA's installer can be done without any
changes to the installed packages.
At least, it should work until we provide an update of our NVIDIA
package (which will most probably overwrite files installed by running
the installer).
If you want to remove OI's NVIDIA package it should be sufficient to
uninstall the packages "userland-incorporation" and "entire", eg. with
pfexec pkg uninstall entire userland-incorporation

But be aware that userland-incorporation "fixates" all userland packages
to a common baseline. If you remove it, you can install or remove
arbitrary package versions. That gives some freedom but also brings some
responsibilities. After that you should be able to simply remove
the driver with
pfexec uninstall nvidia

Diclaimer: I haven't tried to uninstall driver/graphics/nvidia yet.

Regards,
Andreas