[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Thu Mar 4 16:28:18 UTC 2021

On 04.03.21 17:10, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:

>> On 4. Mar 2021, at 18:04, Udo Grabowski (IMK) <udo.grabowski at kit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On 04.03.21 16:43, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>>>   OK I just made several attempts:
>>> First attempt was with 2020.10 GUI install ISO. That was forced to maintenance mode and was unable to locate libpcidb.so.1 when I ran prtconf -v.
>>> Second attempt was with 2019.04 USB. That kernel panicked for multiuser and single user. Even with a camera ready I couldn't get the message.
>>> Both of those attempts had a 5 TB drive installed. I'm trying again with a 750 GB drive which happens to have CentOS 7 installed. That tries to boot, but doesn't seem to get far before it just spins. The GUI 2020.10 ISO behaves the same as with the 5 TB disk.
>>> It completely ignored the 2019.04 USB image even with it selected via F9. The 20202.10 text ISO also fails for lack of libpcidb.so.1
>>
>> I can only second your opinion about the the quality of the ISOs, but
>> two years ago I had some luck with 2018.10, which was the first after
>> 151a9 that actually booted a newer system. Maybe you try that, it's
>> sufficient for the job (if the rpool does not have activated the most
>> recent feature flags…)
>
> I think the next version should appear in may, so there is your chance to join with release building team to make sure the next version is with expected quality.

Yes, happy to help, as indeed two new servers are waiting for
rack install and a new OI (ZStor CIB-448 XEON Gold 6126 based
cluster dual host data graves for 384 TB in 48 slots, including
NVME SSDs and stock 4 x LSI 3008 12 Gb/s SAS HBAs, 88E151* Marvell
Alaska net onboard, Intel 82599ES 10Gbe ). Hope I get these into
the rack soon, COVID-19 still blocks us here.