[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems after updating to latest Hipster - /var/log/Xorg0.log

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Sun Mar 7 19:45:56 UTC 2021

On 03/07/21 08:18 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 8:58:54 PM GMT+2, Andreas Wacknitz <a.wacknitz at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> No, that's definitely the wrong conclusion, because
>> - he is the only one seeing this problem at the moment
>> - and it is most likely a selfmade problem because he installed a
>> graphics card driver that is not officially distributed by OI
> No I have seen exactly the same problem on a freshly installed system.
> For some reason, I cannot install the system from the GUI media so I
> installed the system using the text installation media. Then I created
> a new BE and installed a newer version of the NVIDIA driver (the one that
> comes with the media does not work). Then I installed the package install_mate
> and then I tried to boot this new BE. But each time I try to boot the system,
> it reboots after trying to start mate-session/lightdm. So practically I have
> an unusable system.
>
>> How can we prevent from these kind of problems in the future?
>> He has installed a driver that is provided by NVIDIA for Solaris. It was
>> necessary because our official driver (from the same NVIDIA source)
>> is old and not suitable for modern NVIDIA graphics cards. Alas we don't
>> have a newer one. And that is mostly because we have too few
>> people involved in testing and maintaining packages. The majority
>> prefers to fiddle themselves or wait that somebody else will do what
>> they need.
> I understand that this a complex problem. Mainly because the driver works
> just fine on older machines. However in my case the problem was the following:
>
> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.  If
> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
>
> Perhaps something went wrong with the packaging of files. Can you check that
> indeed everything is OK?
>

>> We have at least one PR with a newer driver that nobody seem to care to
>> test. It is derived from older PR's that have been discussed and
>> stalled for quite some time. So, the provided alternative driver is also
>> already outdated. But that could be the base for more NVIDIA drivers
>> in the future if it will be tested and merged. But if nobody cares
>> enough to do that (or even work on a more sophisticated one) then the
>> situation won't change.
> Look I as using a GeForce GT 1030 and I am using NVIDIA Driver Version 415.18
> with no problem. In general, I think you could "upgrade" to the 390 series.
> I can try to upgrade the driver in one of my old systems and see if the
> driver works.
>
> Regards,
> [...]

Hello!

I am using a M1200 quadro on my 'daily driver' for some time now, with
many versions of the official NVIDIA drivers, from some 390 upto 455.38
just now. No problems.

I have a spare machine that i can test drivers on, with a GTX 1030 - i
have a spare NVIDIA NVS 295 to switch HW if needed.

If i recall correctly the most recent 460.56 did not work with the GTX
1030 when i did test on March,4. ,
no graphics but also no panic..
So i did go back to 440.64 on this one with the currently GTX 1030
installed, no problems related to the driver since then.

I volunteer to test the alternate drivers going to be delivered by OI,
just tell me how to do it.

Greetings,

Stephan