[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems after updating to latest Hipster - /var/log/Xorg0.log

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Mar 7 19:50:13 UTC 2021

Am 07.03.21 um 20:45 schrieb Stephan Althaus:
> On 03/07/21 08:18 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 8:58:54 PM GMT+2, Andreas Wacknitz
>> <a.wacknitz at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> No, that's definitely the wrong conclusion, because
>>> - he is the only one seeing this problem at the moment
>>> - and it is most likely a selfmade problem because he installed a
>>> graphics card driver that is not officially distributed by OI
>> No I have seen exactly the same problem on a freshly installed system.
>> For some reason, I cannot install the system from the GUI media so I
>> installed the system using the text installation media. Then I created
>> a new BE and installed a newer version of the NVIDIA driver (the one
>> that
>> comes with the media does not work). Then I installed the package
>> install_mate
>> and then I tried to boot this new BE. But each time I try to boot the
>> system,
>> it reboots after trying to start mate-session/lightdm. So practically
>> I have
>> an unusable system.
>>
>>> How can we prevent from these kind of problems in the future?
>>> He has installed a driver that is provided by NVIDIA for Solaris. It
>>> was
>>> necessary because our official driver (from the same NVIDIA source)
>>> is old and not suitable for modern NVIDIA graphics cards. Alas we don't
>>> have a newer one. And that is mostly because we have too few
>>> people involved in testing and maintaining packages. The majority
>>> prefers to fiddle themselves or wait that somebody else will do what
>>> they need.
>> I understand that this a complex problem. Mainly because the driver
>> works
>> just fine on older machines. However in my case the problem was the
>> following:
>>
>> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module;
>> please check in your X
>> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has
>> been loaded in your X
>> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the
>> NVIDIA GLX module.  If
>> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems,
>> Please try
>> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
>> [  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA
>> graphics device!
>>
>> Perhaps something went wrong with the packaging of files. Can you
>> check that
>> indeed everything is OK?
>>

>>> We have at least one PR with a newer driver that nobody seem to care to
>>> test. It is derived from older PR's that have been discussed and
>>> stalled for quite some time. So, the provided alternative driver is
>>> also
>>> already outdated. But that could be the base for more NVIDIA drivers
>>> in the future if it will be tested and merged. But if nobody cares
> [...]
At the moment you'll need to have a build environment for such kind of
tests because you'll need to build the involved packages by yourself and
install these
on your test machine. For the future we have planned to provide
alternative pkg servers which will provide packages to test. When this
is ready you simply
need to set one of these new pkg servers as a publisher in IPS and then
update your system. Alas this is taking some time to finish.