[OpenIndiana-discuss] Updated NVIDIA drivers

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Fri Mar 12 20:27:13 UTC 2021

Hi all,

As some may already have noticed we have added newer NVIDIA drivers
(driver/graphics/nvidia-390 and driver/graphics/nvidia-460) recently
which should support newer graphic card models from NVIDIA. Nvidia-390
is now our default driver and will automatically be installed after a
pkg update. If you have an older graphics card, like eg. NV295, you will
need to downgrade to nvidia-340 after the next update. Additionally, we
have now the latest nvidia-460 driver which is 64-bit only. The process
of switching between driver versions is a little bit cumbersome still,
eg. if you want to switch to one of the other driver versions (340 in
the following example) you'll have to:

1. pfexec uninstall nvidia nvidia-390 xorg-video  (this creates
automatically a new BE)
2. pfexec reboot  (reboot into the newly created BE)
3. pfexec install nvidia-340  (it is likely that you need to reboot again)

The procedure to switch to the latest version is quite similar to the
aforementioned steps.

I would like to thank Stephan Althaus who has done most of the tests,
fixed little things and contributed the latest driver.
As the next OI Hipster release is scheduled for end of April we don't
provide new boot images yet.

Best regards,
Andreas