[OpenIndiana-discuss] Updated NVIDIA drivers

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 21:39:56 UTC 2021

 I don't know why I should expect anything different given that gparted dumps core in 2020.10 and doesn't recognize a Windows 7 Pro and Debian 9.3 installation on a 2 TB disk in 2017.10.

Still not detecting the card and installing the correct driver seems rather lame.

"scanpci -v" produces this for the graphics card in my Z400:

pci bus 0x000f cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x0638
 NVIDIA Corporation G94GL [Quadro FX 1800]
 CardVendor 0x10de card 0x062c (NVIDIA Corporation, Card unknown)
 STATUS 0x0010 COMMAND 0x0047
 CLASS 0x03 0x00 0x00 REVISION 0xa1
 BIST 0x00 HEADER 0x00 LATENCY 0x00 CACHE 0x00
 BASE0 0xf6000000 SIZE 16777216 MEM
 BASE1 0x00000000e0000000 SIZE 268435456 MEM64 PREFETCHABLE
 BASE3 0x00000000f4000000 SIZE 33554432 MEM64
 BASE5 0x0000e000 SIZE 128 I/O
 MAX_LAT 0x00 MIN_GNT 0x00 INT_PIN 0x01 INT_LINE 0x03

I don't see a lot of difficulty to writing a shell script that takes the output of scanpci and spits out the appropriate nVidia driver number. If the install system is sane enough that such a solution will work, I'll write and maintain it.

I am proposing:

GRAPHIC_DRIVER=`/sbin/ `

If that is not a viable solution for some reason, then I'm not likely to keep using OI. I've repeatedly volunteered to help over the last 8-10 years. I've never ever received useful replies. In most cases, not even a useless reply. Mostly I just see whining about the limited number of people providing support.

I estimate that "nvidia_driver_to_use" would take 3-4 hours to write. Wall time longer if I need to contact nVidia for device and driver mappings. If you demand that I spend 2-3 days analyzing the horribly borked install process, it's just not going to happen.

I might do that, but only if I get replies.

Reg