[OpenIndiana-discuss] Updated NVIDIA drivers

Predrag Zecevic predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Mon Mar 15 08:22:00 UTC 2021

On 12.03.2021 21:27, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As some may already have noticed we have added newer NVIDIA drivers
> (driver/graphics/nvidia-390 and driver/graphics/nvidia-460) recently
> which should support newer graphic card models from NVIDIA. Nvidia-390
> is now our default driver and will automatically be installed after a
> pkg update. If you have an older graphics card, like eg. NV295, you will
> need to downgrade to nvidia-340 after the next update. Additionally, we
> have now the latest nvidia-460 driver which is 64-bit only. The process
> of switching between driver versions is a little bit cumbersome still,
> eg. if you want to switch to one of the other driver versions (340 in
> the following example) you'll have to:
>
> 1. pfexec uninstall nvidia nvidia-390 xorg-video  (this creates
> automatically a new BE)
> 2. pfexec reboot  (reboot into the newly created BE)
> 3. pfexec install nvidia-340  (it is likely that you need to reboot again)
>
> The procedure to switch to the latest version is quite similar to the
> aforementioned steps.
>
> I would like to thank Stephan Althaus who has done most of the tests,
> fixed little things and contributed the latest driver.
> As the next OI Hipster release is scheduled for end of April we don't
> provide new boot images yet.
>
> Best regards,
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Many thanks for (both) work and info!

Is there any documentation regarding these steps available?

Also, at least for me, would be interesting to have docs how to get rid
of manually installed NVIDIA packages (from
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/solaris-display-archive/, I
had to use to get my desktop system working)?

Thanks in advance.
With best regards.

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
e-mail: predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 107, 65812 Bad Soden am
Taunus, Germany
registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
managing director: Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!