[OpenIndiana-discuss] How do I verify that fmd is actually able to detect and log ECC errors?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 19:08:02 UTC 2021

I suspect memory errors on my Sol 10 u8 system, but there are no memory errors reported by "fmdump -eV".  All the errors and events are zfs related.

Initial symptom is starting a scrub on a freshly booted system will complete properly, but the same operation after the system has been up for a few days will cause a kernel panic. Immediately after a reboot a scrub will complete normally.  This behavior suggests bit fade to me.

This has been very consistent  for the last few months.  The system is an HP Z400 which is 10 years old and generally has run 24x7.  It was certified by Sun for Solaris 10 which is why I bought it and uses unbuffered, unregistered ECC DDR3 DIMMs.  Since my initial purchase I have bought three more Z400s.

Recently the system became unstable to the point I have not been able to complete a "zfs send -R" to a 12 TB WD USB drive.  My last attempt using a Hipster LiveImage died after ~25 hours.

My Hipster 2017.10 system shows some events which appear to be ECC related, but I'm not able to interpret them.  I've attached a file with the last such event.  Not sure that will work, but worth trying.  This is from my regular internet access host.  So  it is up 24x7 with few exceptions.

Except for the CPU and memory, the machines are almost identical.  The Hipster machine is an older 4 DIMM slot machine with the same 3 way mirror on s0 and 3 disk RAIDZ1 on s1.  The Sol 10 system is a 6 DIMM slot model and has a 3 TB mirrored scratch pool in addition to the s0 & s1 root and export pools.

It seems unlikely that I could simply swap the disks between the two, but I can install Hipster on a single drive for rpool and attempt to copy the scratch pool, spool, with that and simply run it for a while for testing.

I've read everything I can find about the Fault Manager, but it has produced more questions than answers.

This is for Hipster 2017.10:

sun_x86%rhb {82} fmadm config
MODULE                   VERSION STATUS  DESCRIPTION
cpumem-retire            1.1     active  CPU/Memory Retire Agent
disk-lights              1.0     active  Disk Lights Agent
disk-transport           1.0     active  Disk Transport Agent
eft                      1.16    active  eft diagnosis engine
ext-event-transport      0.2     active  External FM event transport
fabric-xlate             1.0     active  Fabric Ereport Translater
fmd-self-diagnosis       1.0     active  Fault Manager Self-Diagnosis
io-retire                2.0     active  I/O Retire Agent
sensor-transport         1.1     active  Sensor Transport Agent
ses-log-transport        1.0     active  SES Log Transport Agent
software-diagnosis       0.1     active  Software Diagnosis engine
software-response        0.1     active  Software Response Agent
sysevent-transport       1.0     active  SysEvent Transport Agent
syslog-msgs              1.1     active  Syslog Messaging Agent
zfs-diagnosis            1.0     active  ZFS Diagnosis Engine
zfs-retire               1.0     active  ZFS Retire Agent

It's a little longer than for Sol 10 u8, but the cpumem-retire V 1.1 appears on both.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Reg