[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:03:15 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 3:19 PM Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

>  I thought I'd make another stab at this. I updated to the 3.61 BIOS from
> HP's web site.
>
> With milestone single user or multi-user using the "txt install" ISO
> "prtconf -v" runs fine if IDE is selected, however, in RAID+AHCI it won't
> run as shown in the photo.

The photo indicates that the CDROM can't be found - it's hidden behind the
RAID and
is inaccessible to OI. Given that most of the OS is still on the media,
which you can't
get to, essentially nothing will work.

If you want to poke around further in this mode, then you'll need something
that can either
find its media via another route (such as booting a USB image or using PXE
or iPXE), or
try one of the distributions that don't need access to the media to finish
the boot
(which means current OmniOS or Tribblix).

> scanpci is not available nor is find which leaves me a bit mystified as to
> what we are running in the image above.
>
> Despite statements on HP's web site, it does appear that there is more
> than one version of the mainboard.
>
> Reg
>

>      On Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 09:08:02 PM CST, Gary Mills <
> gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 07:57:39AM -0600, Gary Mills wrote:
> >
> > I looked around for my notes on the first install of OI on my Z400,
> > but couldn't find anything.  Maybe it was that easy that I didn't
> > bother making notes.  I do recall that only needed to follow the first
> > part of the instructions.  The main thing is the add_drv and rebuilding
> > the boot archive.  There was only one BE, of course.
>
> I found my notes.  They were from Febuary 2018.  Here they are, in
> point form:
>
>     o Changed controller to AHCI+RAID in BIOS
>     o Booted OI hipster-20171031 USB stick
>     o Started a shell window
>     o Got a root shell with `sudo ksh'
>     o Found `RAID controller' in `prtconf -v' output
>     o Ran: update_drv -a -i 'pci8086,2822.103c.1309.0' ahci
>       o Added line to driver_aliases:
>         ahci "pci8086,2822.103c.1309.0"
>     o Ran the installer
>     o Checked new BE:
>     # mkdir /tmp/a
>     # beadm mount openindiana /tmp/a
>     # wc -l /tmp/a/etc/driver_aliases /etc/driver_aliases
>         1772 /tmp/a/etc/driver_aliases
>         1772 /etc/driver_aliases
>       o Files were the same
>     o Rebuild the boot archive:
>     # bootadm update-archive -v -R /tmp/a
>       o No output
>     o Umount:
>     # beadm unmount openindiana
>     o Rebooted from the installer GUI
>     o Normal boot of new BE
>

> --
> -Gary Mills-        -refurb-        -Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada-

-Peter Tribble