[OpenIndiana-discuss] Replacing Solaris 10 u8

rmd rmd at orbit.in-berlin.de
Wed Mar 24 12:35:08 UTC 2021

> My Solaris 10 u8 instance is rather dated.  I'd like to update it, but there are some absolute requirements:
well, still have a 10 usomthing running for SunRay:)

> Sun/Forte/Oracle Developer Studio
the old studiocompiler 12.1u1 runs fine if that is ok with your demands

> twm window manager on at least one screen
not really a MATE fan, I have twm running with xdm-login as login manager.
you”on one screen” puzzles me a bit. That is different window managers on
on parts of a multiheaded gui console? Didn’t know that this works, sounds
strange to me.

> ZFS filesystem
so, well, yes, OI comes with zfs and as I remember, I imported old Solaris 10
pools, but that was some time ago. I recomend that you test that on a test
installation for yourself and share your findings

> must be stable long term
hm, well, that could be a problem, better stay current and isolate those apps
you desperatly need and that demand for old OS versions, virtualised in
containers.
I run my SunRay environment that way, have it setup in a Solaris 10 virtual
instance, it serves the still operating SunRay DTUs in kiosk mode.
You may use SmartOS as a virtualizer and setup OI instances and instances
with other/older OSes as you need them for your applications. Depends a bit
on your needs and the compute power and memory of your systems

Still I need some time to test the new Firefox for OI, maybe over the easter
weekend. It would be great since most stuff needed here is a webbrowser.

Rolf