[OpenIndiana-discuss] Replacing Solaris 10 u8

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 18:13:03 UTC 2021

Thanks to all.

I've still not found the Oracle EULA for 11.4. They've got a manual for a huge list of other stuff. I'll probably have to download it to find the terms.

I found a claim on the internet that indefinite use of 11.4 for development and non-commercial, non-production use was now acceptable. As I am retired and just fooling around,  if similar terms apply to Developer Studio then I'll probably get an off lease HP Z620 as my last computer system and load 11.4 and Developer Studio. That should outlast me.

I use twm on the RH screen in portrait mode with a stack of full page xterms and the icon manager on the side. That let me select whichever xterm I want to work in. I had unlimited history and scrollback set. So I could easily switch between tasks that went on for months without having to keep detailed notes. Each xterm has a name. Two mouse clicks and it's the top terminal in the stack.  Very handy if you're doing bespoke research for people.  If they walked in my office with questions I immediately had all the work I'd done for them up in front of me.  Particularly useful if your standard program name is tst<n>.   I had all my command line history and all my files in a directory matching the xterm name so it was easy to change some parameter.

To keep the web browser and 3rd party stuff happy, I ran dtwm on the LH screen in landscape mode. This was all Solaris 8 on an Ultra 60.  One day  I got a call from the sys admin asking if he could take me down after work for some patches. It'd been up for 467 days!

I switched to twm on both screens when I started running a netbox for OI151_a6. But had to switch to a Z400 when Firefox would no longer run on a system with 2 GB of RAM.

I used  some now long forgotten feature of the CDE startup to implement the dual window managers.

Should someone want to do multiple window managers I'd recommend using a console login and starting X explicitly.   With multiple screens you should be able to test the same application across multiple window managers simply by switching screens.  Disentangling screens in the current X setups is a nightmare of complexity.  I think the root cause is the multiple "desktops aka workspaces".

Have Fun
Reg