[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommended way to migrate to a new release?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 00:41:18 UTC 2021

Gparted(1m) on the Live Image worked at one time. Now it does not. But it's still there despite my raising an issue and the triviality of simply removing it from the Desktop. I don't recall if the "Getting Started" document referenced in the GUI installer was ever there. I'd have to boot disks going back to oi151_a5 to see. The wiki documentation with respect to updates from version to version is hopelessly out of date.

The OI installs are for the most part better than *BSD, *Linux and even Oracle Solaris. I maintain a system on which I can test OS installs on old HDDs. Periodically I'll get curious about the state of some OS distro and do an install, fool around for a while and then label the disk with what's installed and put in the rack I made to hold them all. I've got 2 dozen IDE drive in caddies. I don't have a count on SATA drives. I've not been able to find inexpensive and good quality caddies for those. So I keep those in anti-static bags in the shipping boxes. Less convenient to count.

If potential new users have the sort of problems Michelle and I encountered they are not likely to become members of the OI user community. The size of that community determines the size of the developer community. Only a small fraction of users have the time, skills and motivation to take on development/maintenance work.

My personal preference is for "all known bugs fixed" release points. If someone wants to track changes more often then the "pkg update" mechanism provides that.

Solaris was created to merge Sys V and BSD. So everyone else created OSF/1, though only DEC shipped it. At this point Sys V and BSD compatibility is moot. Sun was the last vendor standing, but not for much longer. Sys V only lives on in Solaris and Illumos so far as I know.

ZFS was at one time a compelling reason to stick with OI, but that's no longer the case. It's actually now better documented in FreeBSD.

Reg