[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommended way to migrate to a new release?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun May 2 14:43:48 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2 May 2021, Judah Richardson wrote:

> Both OI and FreeBSD use the same OpenZFS upstream so the documentation
> specific to ZFS for one works for both ;) I've also found Oracle Solaris

The above statement is no longer actually true.  OpenZFS is no longer
"based" on the Illumos implementation and FreeBSD 13 is re-based on
OpenZFS which was itself essentially re-based on ZFS on Linux (ZOL).
This definitely benefits FreeBSD 13 since it is unshackled from
Illumos shims and assumptions.

So now Illumos selectively pulls in interesting improvements from
OpenZFS but OpenZFS has diverged.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn