[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommended way to migrate to a new release?

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Sun May 2 15:04:40 UTC 2021

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 9:44 AM Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us>
wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 2021, Judah Richardson wrote:
> >>
> > Both OI and FreeBSD use the same OpenZFS upstream so the documentation
> > specific to ZFS for one works for both ;) I've also found Oracle Solaris
>
> The above statement is no longer actually true.  OpenZFS is no longer
> "based" on the Illumos implementation and FreeBSD 13 is re-based on
> OpenZFS which was itself essentially re-based on ZFS on Linux (ZOL).
> This definitely benefits FreeBSD 13 since it is unshackled from
> Illumos shims and assumptions.
>
> So now Illumos selectively pulls in interesting improvements from
> OpenZFS but OpenZFS has diverged.

It seems every time I see this topic comes up in forums across the
internet, I read a different explanation of what's going on.

See slide 13 (titled "OpenZFS Code Flow (2020)" from the 2019 OpenZFS
DevSummit keynote
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/197jS8_MWtfdW2LyvIFnH58uUasHuNszz/view>
for what I'm referring to. I think I see your point: FreeBSD's ZFS
implementation isn't downstream of OpenZFS, it *is *OpenZFS. Illumos'
implementation, however, is downstream thereof. Or at least that's how I
interpret that diagram.

That said, I have noticed the absence of any Illumos mention in the 2020
Summit keynote
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1BiQLUL7gPabTPvLciLMIOTXiPvWgWKCen57LmJT5tgc/edit?usp=sharing>,
so there's that.

FWIW I strongly agree with you and Alan's take on the "all bugs fixed"
concept.