[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommended way to migrate to a new release?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 13:20:40 UTC 2021

 Alan is, of course, correct. You can't have *all* of them fixed in a code base as large as a modern OS. But you can fix the important stuff. And what a prospective user experiences when they boot the Live Image and attempt an install is critical.

When experienced people have major problems doing an install there is something seriously wrong. The only thing that kept me going for 50 hours was that I had never in 35 years lost a battle with a computer. And I was not going to concede. I came very close though to returning the Z840. But before I did that I was going to give it one more try and that uncovered the issue. The device configuration had not been saved and it did not have /reconfigure present when it began to reboot.

Most important of all is a concerted effort *by the user community* to test and review a release to ensure that glaring problems are fixed so that a prospective new user has a good experience and favorable impression. For a wide range of reasons testing a release candidate is not something the developers can meaningfully do. It *must* be the users.

Reg