[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommended way to migrate to a new release?

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:52:50 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 8:21 AM Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

>  Alan is, of course, correct. You can't have *all* of them fixed in a code
> base as large as a modern OS. But you can fix the important stuff. And what
> a prospective user experiences when they boot the Live Image and attempt an
> install is critical.
>
> When experienced people have major problems doing an install there is
> something seriously wrong. The only thing that kept me going for 50 hours
> was that I had never in 35 years lost a battle with a computer.

I've had stuff refuse to install or boot before. The 1st time I tried
GhostBSD I couldn't get it to boot. So I installed Project Trident instead.
When Trident rebased to Void Linux, I tried GhostBSD again and this time it
installed and booted just fine. I ran it until FuryBSD emerged, which I
then migrated to. Sometimes you just have to walk away and circle back
later. Sometimes *much* later.

And I was not going to concede. I came very close though to returning the
> Z840. But before I did that I was going to give it one more try and that
> uncovered the issue. The device configuration had not been saved and it did
> not have /reconfigure present when it began to reboot.
>
> Most important of all is a concerted effort *by the user community*

I'm personally limited by my days having only 24 hours ;) Yours may have
more.

to test and review a release

Everyone who runs Hipster and does pkg update is running a rolling release,
which is testing and reviewing by definition. If you're asking people at
large to continually build and install ISO images ... that's not a
practical request for most people.

to ensure that glaring problems are fixed so that a prospective new user
> has a good experience and favorable impression.

Most people aren't personally invested in/ambassadors for the OSes they
run, nor are they required to be.

For a wide range of reasons testing a release candidate is not something