[OpenIndiana-discuss] Updates in OI

Yassine Chaouche a.chaouche at algerian-radio.dz
Tue May 4 12:34:55 UTC 2021

Dear OI community,

I was never fond of Rolling Releases. I tried a couple times,
it always ended in an unrecoverable system and me switching
back to a classic LTS linux distro (I'm a linux user myself).

It generally boils down to these two essential problems :

  1- Never miss an update. Missing an update increases your
     chances of breaking the system on next update.

  2- You can't install a package if your system is out of date.
     This means that if you chose to not update the system, for
     example because of a known problematic package, you won't
     be able to install new software until that package is fixed.
     A workaround would be to pin that package to its current
     version so that it doesn't get updated, and unpin it once
     it gets fixed on next update (but see 1 about missing
     updates)

Out of curiosity, does this also apply to OI ?

-- Yassine