[OpenIndiana-discuss] Rolling release considered harmful

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Tue May 4 16:51:18 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 7:56 AM Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 2:40 PM Judah Richardson <judahrichardson at gmail.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 4, 2021, 07:25 Yassine Chaouche <
> a.chaouche at algerian-radio.dz>
> > wrote:

> want.
> > > So, just to be clear for outsiders like myself. I thought Hipster
> > > was the Rolling Release Branch. I assumed OI had another fixed
> > > release branche, but apparently there's not ?
> > >
> > Hipster is the only release mentioned on the blog in over 2 years and the
> > only release listed on the download page. I had the same question when I
> > 1st downloaded OI, but it was pretty obvious to me from the above that
> > Hipster is the main effort, and so that's what I installed. Don't fight
> the
> > paradigm, as I keep saying.
> >

> Upgrades of Ubuntu LTS break more

Interesting. I run the 6 month cycle Ubuntu releases. I'm currently on
20.10 waiting for the update app to offer me 21.04. From my reading of the
problems users typically encounter, LTS is for folks who want security
patches only, with the understanding that they'll probably have to clean
install the next LTS release if you want it (because of the version gap
challenge I mentioned earlier.)

than OI

OK, so your experience with OI stuff not breaking between pkg upgrade
reboots is the same as mine :)

on my server and without any
> possibility of rollback to a previous boot environment...

I do believe Ubuntu has supported rollbacks for ZFS root installations
since 20.04 LTS.

> I think the idea of a "stable release" prepared for several years of
> production should be relaxed...
> Even on our last supercomputer we had to move to CentOS Stream

What has your experience with that been?

since CentOS