[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which OI service cleans up hidden NFS files?

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Tue May 4 22:38:22 UTC 2021

Hi All,

The other day my OI machine emailed (thank Peter Tribble, *et al*, who
helped me get that set up) me this error:

find: cannot open /znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT/openindiana: No such
file or directory
find: cannot open /znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/export/home/judah: No such
file or directory
find: cannot open /znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/export: No such file or
directory
find: cannot open /znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/export/home: No such file or
directory
find: cannot open /znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT: No such file or
directory

The following are details about the filesystems and their mountpoints,
because I'm not sure if those are contributing factors or not:

   - /znapzend is the mountpoint for rpool1/znapzend/, a ZFS fiesystem I
   created as a destination for znapzend
   - rpool1 itself is mounted at /rpool1. It is shared via NFS (but the
   child dataset rpool1/znapzend is not)

I did some searching about the error message and found this Solaris
documentation page
<https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37838_01/html/E61004/gqmry.html> about
removing hidden NFS files. It says that the above error is due to something
called nfsfind, but that nfsfind should be superseded by a service called
svc:/network/nfs/cleanup.

However, such a service does not exist on my machine:

judah at DellOptiPlex390MT 2021-05-04 17:30:11:/$ svcs | grep cleanup
judah at DellOptiPlex390MT 2021-05-04 17:31:02:/$

How do I fix this error? Disabling the crontab job that throws it is an
option, but since the crontab job cleans up stale NFS files I don't think
that's a good idea. Would I share rpool1's child datasets via NFS
specifically fix it?

Any ideas?