[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which OI service cleans up hidden NFS files?

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Tue May 4 22:44:52 UTC 2021

On Tue, 4 May 2021 at 15:39, Judah Richardson <judahrichardson at gmail.com> wrote:
> The other day my OI machine emailed (thank Peter Tribble, *et al*, who
> helped me get that set up) me this error:
>
> find: cannot open /znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT/openindiana: No such
> file or directory
>
> I did some searching about the error message and found this Solaris
> documentation page
> <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37838_01/html/E61004/gqmry.html> about
> removing hidden NFS files. It says that the above error is due to something
> called nfsfind, but that nfsfind should be superseded by a service called
> svc:/network/nfs/cleanup.

We don't have a periodic execution mode for SMF like Oracle Solaris.
The NFS cleanup task is run from the default root crontab:

    http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-gate/usr/src/cmd/Adm/root?r=fd324b96#30

> How do I fix this error? Disabling the crontab job that throws it is an
> option, but since the crontab job cleans up stale NFS files I don't think
> that's a good idea. Would I share rpool1's child datasets via NFS
> specifically fix it?

I'm not sure exactly but it seems like nfsfind is a pretty basic shell
script that may not have both its arms completely around the problem.
It'd be good to get an illumos bug logged with the issue you've
described, including the sequence of ZFS/NFS operations you've used to
get the system into this state so that whatever the fix is can be
tested well.

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow