[OpenIndiana-discuss] Possible to sponsor a code bounty?

Austin Kim freennix at gmail.com
Wed May 26 13:25:24 UTC 2021

On May 26, 2021, at 9:09 AM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2021, Mike Carroll wrote:
>
>> Ok. Just curious. I landed on OI after dealing with Linux and BSDs (though I find the illumos variants and BSDs to be more stable) and thought it would be a good way to give back to the community.
>
> If someone is interested in donating money to the few volunteers who do most of the work, a foundation is not necessary in order for this to be possible.
>
> It might not always be obvious who is doing most of the work.
>
> Bob

I’m not an OI developer (just a mere mortal user), so what do I know, but a non-profit foundation supporting the Project à la the FreeBSD Foundation vis-à-vis the FreeBSD Project is a great idea and will likely happen one day eventually, but I expect it would evolve organically in response to the need of a critical mass of developers for a legal and organizational infrastructure to receive and disburse financial contributions to the Project and handle transnational tax reporting, etc., in a manner proportionate to extent of contribution, rather than the other way around.  Maybe one day some generous donor or inspired company out there will step up to offer a substantive amount of financial sponsorship to make setting up such a foundation necessary?  There are far more pointless things to spend money on(, Jeff Bezos/Larry Ellison:)

“We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible.”  —Allan Massie, _A Question of Loyalties_, 1989