[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg install woes

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Nov 30 01:59:54 UTC 2021

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg install woes, John Gardner via...:

> A brand new install from the hipster-20210403 dvd and I can't install packages at the moment:
>
> root at buildpc:/export/home/johng# pkg install build-essential

tl;dr:

Always, always do

 	pkg update

or

 	pkg update -v 2>&1 | tee pkg-update-v.out

before doing an install.

OI hipster is designed so that packages "go together", meaning that all
the packages from a particular point in time should work together.

What you're trying to do is install the latest versions of some packages
on top of an OS image that is from 7 months ago.  That's being blocked
by the osnet-incorporation.

If you want to install current packages, you need to be relatively up
to date, which means first doing a

 	pkg update

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)