[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems with mate-settings-daemon

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 2 07:27:14 UTC 2021

With the latest Hipster release I cannot customize Mate any more.
I get :

"Unable to start the settings manager 'mate-settings-daemon'.
Without the MATE settings manager running, some preferences may not take
effect. This could indicate a problem with DBus, or a non-MATE (e.g. KDE)
settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the MATE
settings manager."

This is a test on Virtualbox 6.1.22 and it happens even from the
install CD (I could however install and configure ssh, you guess it
is a pita when the keyboard layout is not what the system thinks.
Formerly the install procedure asked for keyboard layout, but this
was deemed unneeded and has been removed).

There is however an active process :
/usr/lib/amd64/mate-settings-daemon/mate-settings-daemon

The illumos Project     illumos-2ed5ea5a06      April 2021
SunOS openindiana 5.11 illumos-2ed5ea5a06 i86pc i386 i86pc illumos

Can somebody tell me at least in which file the keyboard layout is
stored, so that I can fix it through ssh (the keyboard which can
be queried its layout is still to be invented).

Jean-Pierre