[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems with mate-settings-daemon

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Thu Sep 2 07:47:23 UTC 2021

> Can somebody tell me at least in which file the keyboard layout is
> stored, so that I can fix it through ssh (the keyboard which can
> be queried its layout is still to be invented).

Hi,

I'm using a French keyboard on my OpenIndiana system.

See "man kbd" and the command : kbd -s French  to change to a different layout
("kbd -s" for the available languages)

A persistent change can be done via the SMF repository, to be safe,

beadm create -a azerty

and reboot into "azerty".

This is a BE just to backup the SMF before you change it.

Then run the following script:

$ cat mk-french.sh
svccfg -s svc:/system/keymap:default <<EOF
setprop keymap/layout = astring: French
refresh
listprop keymap/layout
EOF

Warning:  by running the above script you change the SMF repo, which contains the keyboard setting in the "keymap/layout" property of system/keymap.

So I think it is best to first create a BE for this, just to be safe before modifying the SMF repo.

David Stes