[OpenIndiana-discuss] A KVM switch broke my server?! Lightdm is panic'ing the kernel

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Fri Sep 3 14:36:08 UTC 2021

You wrote that you are running a Intel i5-10400F CPU.

That is a 6 core CPU according and the specs do not list an integrated Graphics card so I think it is an Intel CPU *without* integrated graphics :

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/199278/intel-core-i510400f-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz/specifications.html

The following is based on my experience with an Intel i3 with integrated graphics so that's different from your case, but may be of use anyway :

Have you checked for error messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

Are you using a specific /etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration file or do you use the probe and autodetection ?

See man Xorg :

       Xorg has a mechanism for automatically generating a built-in
       configuration at run-time when no xorg.conf file or xorg.conf.d files
       are present.

 I had problems (and still have in some sense) with

# scanpci | grep UHD
 Intel Corporation CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]

So in my case the 'scanpci' tool from OpenIndiana detects a UHD Graphics 630 in addition to the NVIDIA adapter.

Did you check 'scanpci'  and grep Intel ?

I reported on the OpenIndiana Hardware Compatibility guide that I was (or still am) unable to get the Intel UHD630 card working with X on OpenIndiana.

http://docs.openindiana.org/community-hcl/components/

I added an entry there "Intel CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]"  that is NOT working (as far as I know).

I am running OpenIndiana 2021.04 on a Dell Precision and also ran 'startx' to configure X.

# prtdiag -v | head
System Configuration: Dell Inc. Precision 3640 Tower
BIOS Configuration: Dell Inc. 1.2.3 08/06/2020

==== Processor Sockets ====================================

Version                          Location Tag
-------------------------------- --------------------------
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10100 CPU @ 3.60GHz U3E1

Basically what I did after initial text install was run startx and check that it was unable to use the 'intel' driver for that card.

Anyway the NVIDIA card in my Dell Precision is working fine.

I configured /etc/X11/xorg.conf using /usr/bin tools :

/usr/bin/nvidia-SunOS-bug-report.sh
/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig
/usr/bin/nvidia-settings

Basically when running /usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig I save the xorg.conf file from there.

By the way, if there is way to get the Intel UHD630 card working I would be interested to learn about it,
but in my case the way I work with X is explicitely asking NOT to use the intel card in the xorg.conf ...

Regards,
David Stes