[OpenIndiana-discuss] GUI performance

russell stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 08:37:00 UTC 2021

Hi

I have been wondering about the time it takes the GUI Login screen to
appear on boot my computer and after logout to return to the GUI Login
screen.
This morning I decided to time this and the timings are pretty consistent.

So from boot timing the display of the text login: prompt, the screen
blanks and then the GUI Login appears takes on average 1 minute 54
seconds to appear.

After logout from the GUI, timing from press of the Log out button to
the GUI Login appearing takes on average 1 minute 50 seconds to appear.

I have a Ryzen 5 5600X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus system board, Geforce
1650 PCI-e Gen 3 card,  64GB RAM, SSD ZFS boot pool and ZFS Raidz2 HDD
home directory pool.

How can speed up the appearance of the GUI login?

Would overclocking the CPU help or buying the fast RAM significantly
improve the performance?
Is the Graphics Card the problem as it handling a 4K screen? However
looking at the information in the Nvidia X Server Settings the graphics
card is only peaking around 46% CPU utilisation.

TIA

Russell