[OpenIndiana-discuss] Success with HDMI "dummy" was Re: resolved - sort of, now a reproduce-able bug was Re: A KVM switch broke my server?! Lightdm is panic'ing the kernel

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Tue Sep 7 05:03:59 UTC 2021

On 6/09/2021 8:34 am, Carl Brewer wrote:
> Some more groveling around, and I think I may have found a solution.
>
> You can get HDMI "dummy" plugins, that fool the graphics card into
> thinking it has a monitor attached.

I got one today, plugged it in to my NVidia 1030's HDMI port, booted the
server, and bingo. Working!

I can use lightdm's VNC setup, so I can VNC in to it, perfect. If I
disconnect the dummy and plug in the HDMI monitor, it "just works" and
there's my GUI console. I don't think it can find a kbd and mouse if
they're not plugged in at boot time, but I can live without that, as
long as I can ssh and VNC in, I'm happy.

The device is this : https://core-electronics.com.au/hdmi-dummy-plug.html

It's going in my rack cabinet now, and staying there!

Thank you all for your help.

Carl