[OpenIndiana-discuss] GUI performance (updated)

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Mon Sep 6 16:39:34 UTC 2021

There exists a directory

  /var/log/lightdm

with a lightdm.log file.  Maybe it gives a clue as to what is happening ?

Also :

 svcs -p lightdm

shows Xorg is started by lightdm so /var/log/Xorg.0.log can perhaps also be checked to see if starting/stopping X is slow.

So you could start by timing how long it takes to stop/start X using "startx".

>From the text console simply use "startx" to time how long it takes to start X.

On an Intel i3-10100 3.6Ghz with dual channel SDRAM DDR4 2666Mhz with an (old) NVIDIA card it takes for me (a first test) about 26 seconds to start lightdm, from a text console:

  # svcadm enable lightdm

And to logout and return to the login panel 6 seconds.

If I time "startx" from text console to start X using my /etc/X11/xorg.conf (a custom config file created by nvidia-xconfig it takes about 10 seconds just to start X.

Do you use a custom /etc/X11/xorg.conf or do you use the default auto-configuration probing of Xorg ?

Regards,
David Stes