[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPG2 on OI

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Sep 27 02:51:50 UTC 2021

All-

Anyone else using GnuPG on OI?  I'm seeing some strange/broken behavior
somewhere between gpg2, gpg-agent, and pinentry.  I'm wondering if it's
something with my install (or environment), or if others are having issues
too.

Basically, when gpg2 does something that needs a passphrase, it's supposed
to contact the gpg-agent, auto-starting it if necessary, and then the
gpg-agent uses one of the pinentry programs for the actual prompting.

When I try ssh into my OI workstation and use gpg2, whatever is going on
causes the (curses) pinentry screen to be blank.

I know it's not a problem with pinentry-curses, because I can interact
with it directly and send the necessary "commands" via the "assuan"
protocol to get it to display a password prompt window and correctly
collect a password.

I've also had problems with gpg2 hanging and not exiting even after some
operations.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is seeing similar issues, or if I need
to look more closely at what might be wrong with my environment.

Thanks,

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)