[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPG2 on OI

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Mon Sep 27 07:25:23 UTC 2021

Hi,

I can confirm I've had for the last months some annoying (blocking!) issues with GPG2 on OI,
but some issues also happen on other operating systems (pin entry related), so this may be a GPG2 issue, and not an OI issue.  Anyway ...

What I do as workaround is use "loopback" mode, I'm not sure whether you tried that, from reading your posting I think you may have already tried that :

$ gpg2 --pinentry-mode loopback --gen-key

Currently I have installed version 2.3.2

$ gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.3.2
libgcrypt 1.9.4

This comes from

$ pkg list gnupg libgcrypt
NAME (PUBLISHER)                                  VERSION                    IFO
crypto/gnupg                                      2.3.2-2020.0.1.0           i--
system/library/security/libgcrypt                 1.9.4-2020.0.1.0           i--

Unfortunately even if I use "loopback" mode GPG2 is not working for me on OI.

For example when I try

$ gpg2 --pinentry-mode loopback --gen-key

It hangs on:

We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea to perform
some other action (type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the
disks) during the prime generation; this gives the random number
generator a better chance to gain enough entropy.

After a while I abort, no key is generated for me ...

David Stes