[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Apr 11 13:14:38 UTC 2022

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022, Judah Richardson wrote:

> OK. The Solaris documentation I linked to says that Solaris (and presumably
> distros downstream of that codebase) expects the DHCP server to be another
> Solaris machine, and so DHCP servers that don't behave like the latter can
> result in unexpected behavior.

The above seems to be a meaningless statement.

DHCP (and its expectations) are not very complicated.

I use the ISC DHCP server here, but any reasonable DHCP server should
do.

The DHCP client is expected to contact the server every so often and
if the server fails to respond for a very long time, the DHCP lease
will expire and the DHCP client should remove the IP address from the
interface.

However, it appears likely that the DHCP server and client are not the
guilty parties here.  It appears that some other software, or
something in the kernel, is removing the IP address.  The DHCP client
expects the kernel to retain the IP address until the interface is
turned down.  It is not going to continually check to verify that
nothing has disturbed it.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn