[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Doug Hughes doug at will.to
Mon Apr 11 13:20:32 UTC 2022

On 4/11/2022 9:14 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022, Judah Richardson wrote:
>
>> OK. The Solaris documentation I linked to says that Solaris (and
>> presumably
>> distros downstream of that codebase) expects the DHCP server to be
>> another
>> Solaris machine, and so DHCP servers that don't behave like the
>> latter can
>> result in unexpected behavior.
>
> The above seems to be a meaningless statement.
>
> DHCP (and its expectations) are not very complicated.
>
> I use the ISC DHCP server here, but any reasonable DHCP server should do.
>
> The DHCP client is expected to contact the server every so often and
> if the server fails to respond for a very long time, the DHCP lease
> will expire and the DHCP client should remove the IP address from the
> interface.
>
> However, it appears likely that the DHCP server and client are not the
> guilty parties here.  It appears that some other software, or
> something in the kernel, is removing the IP address.  The DHCP client
> expects the kernel to retain the IP address until the interface is
> turned down.  It is not going to continually check to verify that
> nothing has disturbed it.
>
> Bob

Just a thought:

Maybe that doc (which I didn't chase down since it fell off of thread)
is referencing the fact that there are special tags used for jumpstart
server, image server, image name, etc. That's all I could think off: if
you are trying to jumpstart a machine. And yeah, those tags do have to
exist, but you can put them on an isc or any other dhcp server too. It's
all just a matter of what the client is asking for and what the server
replies with, the specifics of the OS don't matter, frankly. From a pure
IP request/renew/accept point of view, the protocol is the same.