[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Mon Apr 11 13:37:17 UTC 2022

On 4/11/22 15:14, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022, Judah Richardson wrote:
>
>> OK. The Solaris documentation I linked to says that Solaris (and
>> presumably
>> distros downstream of that codebase) expects the DHCP server to be
>> another
>> Solaris machine, and so DHCP servers that don't behave like the
>> latter can
>> result in unexpected behavior.
>
> The above seems to be a meaningless statement.
>
> DHCP (and its expectations) are not very complicated.
>
> I use the ISC DHCP server here, but any reasonable DHCP server should do.
>
> The DHCP client is expected to contact the server every so often and
> if the server fails to respond for a very long time, the DHCP lease
> will expire and the DHCP client should remove the IP address from the
> interface.
>
> However, it appears likely that the DHCP server and client are not the
> guilty parties here.  It appears that some other software, or
> something in the kernel, is removing the IP address.  The DHCP client
> expects the kernel to retain the IP address until the interface is
> turned down.  It is not going to continually check to verify that
> nothing has disturbed it.
>
> Bob

Hi!

Thanks Bob for your points!

To clarify the symptoms on my machine: It is only the routing entry that
disappears, the IP address remains active. The lease should not be the
problem, as the duration is 30 days or the like..

The only related message i see is this:

in.routed[1174]: [ID 559541 daemon.warning] 0.0.0.0 --> 192.168.2.1
disappeared from kernel

Stephan