[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Wed Apr 13 05:42:53 UTC 2022

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 at 22:17, Stephan Althaus
<Stephan.Althaus at duedinghausen.eu> wrote:
> So, the default for the default routing features 'needed' for this
> scenario should be enabled. If in.routed is not necessary, it should be
> disabled by default. If it is needed for virtualisation network to
> operate correctly (mostly  thinking of dhcp-enabled vm-clients) it
> should be enabled by default.

I don't think in.routed should ever be enabled by default, even in
server configurations.  If you want to use it, it's because of an
explicit policy decision at your site.  That's why I filed 14006.

> Nevertheless, the 'lost' network connection is not solved yet.
>
> In my case of the 'lost' default gateway i am still thinking that it
> should not happen in either case of a running or not running in.routed
> daemon.
> I thought i had disabled the route yesterday but it is running (?). The
> 'history' shows that i disabled it at 19:55 yesterday. Maybe
> routing-setup did re-enable it at boot this morning..
>
> $ svcs -a|grep rout
> disabled        6:36:37 svc:/network/routing/ripng:default
> disabled        6:36:37 svc:/network/routing/legacy-routing:ipv4
> disabled        6:36:37 svc:/network/routing/legacy-routing:ipv6
> disabled        6:36:37 svc:/network/routing/rdisc:default
> online          6:36:40 svc:/network/routing-setup:default
> online          6:36:40 svc:/network/routing/route:default
> online          6:36:48 svc:/network/routing/ndp:default

As suggested in the ticket, I would:

    # routeadm -d ipv4-routing -u

The "svc:/network/routing/route:default" instance should then be
disabled, unlike in your output above.

When you're having the connectivity issue, it would likely help to
look at some of the basic network diagnostic tools; e.g.,

    $ routeadm
    $ netstat -rnv
    $ ipadm show-addr
    $ nwamadm list