[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Wed Apr 13 05:17:21 UTC 2022

On 4/12/22 21:47, Joshua M. Clulow via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 at 12:21, Udo Grabowski (IMK) <udo.grabowski at kit.edu> wrote:
>> In principle, the easiest fix is to revert to
>> <instance name='default' enabled='false' >
>> in the respective services in /lib/svc/manifest/network/routing/ .
>> But I've not seen a 202* OI version, I'm still on 2017...
> I don't believe that is quite right.  There is specific machinery in
> the OS to enable ipv4-routing under some conditions when a specific
> policy has not been specified by routeadm that will need to be
> unwound; e.g., see "cmd/svc/milestone/net-routing-setup" where it
> mentions "routeadm/ipv4-routing-set".
>

> Cheers.

Hi!

Thanks all for your professional input to this topic.

WRT "should in.routed be enabled by default"

 From my point of view of a Openindiana end user i think the 'default
network topology' in a soho office is a bunch of network devices
connected to an internet router which provides dhcp for all devices.
I  enabled 'always same ip for this device' for some devices, and have
some static ip adresses for a (sort of) fileserver, a sane server and a
MFU printer.
The workload for some IO users includes the use of virtualisation via
virtualbox/bhyve and non-global-zones as these topics are key features
for illumos-based systens.
I think the use of nwam as default is very welcome, and can be changed
by the user if needed.

So, the default for the default routing features 'needed' for this
scenario should be enabled. If in.routed is not necessary, it should be
disabled by default. If it is needed for virtualisation network to
operate correctly (mostly  thinking of dhcp-enabled vm-clients) it
should be enabled by default.

Nevertheless, the 'lost' network connection is not solved yet.

In my case of the 'lost' default gateway i am still thinking that it
should not happen in either case of a running or not running in.routed
daemon.
I thought i had disabled the route yesterday but it is running (?). The
'history' shows that i disabled it at 19:55 yesterday. Maybe
routing-setup did re-enable it at boot this morning..

$ svcs -a|grep rout
disabled        6:36:37 svc:/network/routing/ripng:default
disabled        6:36:37 svc:/network/routing/legacy-routing:ipv4
disabled        6:36:37 svc:/network/routing/legacy-routing:ipv6
disabled        6:36:37 svc:/network/routing/rdisc:default
online          6:36:40 svc:/network/routing-setup:default
online          6:36:40 svc:/network/routing/route:default
online          6:36:48 svc:/network/routing/ndp:default

I don't know the case details for Mr.Richardson right now and i am sorry
for hijacking, but i use at least the same ethernet device i think
(Ethernet Connection (5) I219-LM 8086:15e3).

Stephan