[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Wed Apr 13 18:04:40 UTC 2022

----- Op 12 apr 2022 om 20:00 schreef John D Groenveld groenveld at acm.org:

> svc:/network/routing/route is enabled out of the box with
> OI-hipster-text-20211031.iso

I can't reproduce this.

When I install from the OI-hipster-text-20211031.iso it does not enable routing/route.

Also my OpenIndiana system (Dell Precision 3640 with 2 NIC, 1 e1000g0 and 1 igb0)
is not running in.routed, route:default) and is fairly up to date with recent OI.

I didn't have to disable in.routed or route:default , by default it was NOT enabled.

When I install from the OI-hipster-text-20211031.iso

$ cat OI-hipster-text-20211031.iso.sha256sum
08d938497dfb39ab51da598437cc4cadcad9c936a9371c58520fe8e99431e86d  OI-hipster-text-20211031.iso

after the install (where I selected "Automatic" for the NIC, a single NIC), I login and

routeadm shows : IPV4routing disabled

Udo Grabowski will be pleased to read that :-)

Can you be more specific please and check the "nwadmadm list" on your server and
/var/sadm/system/logs/install_log.

Maybe there is a specific scenario where indeed route:default is enabled,
as also confirmed in https://www.illumos.org/issues/14006

In fact the bug report 14006 refers to the manpage of routeadm which describes some conditions where routing is ENABLED indeed, so there is something that can indeed enable route:default accidentally.

However the bug report 14006 does not say this is OpenIndiana specific, it is a Illumos bug report possibly for a different distribution ?

However when I test this , I have no /etc/defaultrouter and route:default is not enabled.

For me on my test system "nwamadm list" shows "ncp Automatic online".

in.routed is not running, routeadm shows all disabled

I mean: the command routeadm after a fresh install of 202110 shows IPv4 and IPv6 forwarding and routing disabled.

Note however that the installer has multiple options, so I installed using 1 NIC here and choose network type 'Automatic'.

Finally to touch a painful issue:   the type 'Automatic' is possible NOT the best choice for servers.

The documentation http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/systems-administration/#configuring-networking
writes:

"While usually server and desktop installations tend to use default network configurations, laptop users can leverage nwam network configuations."

So that doc positions NWAM as a solution for 'laptop users'.  Opinions may differ ...

Regards,
David Stes