[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Mon Apr 18 07:53:24 UTC 2022

----- Op 17 apr 2022 om 15:28 schreef Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us:

> This sounds reasonable except for the "chicken and the egg" issue.
> If software is necessary in order for the system to receive updates or
> perform its function, then it is useful that it be installed.  I am
> not sure if that applies here, but it is always useful to make sure.

Most likely for historical reasons that is exactly why "network/routing"
which in my opinion should be called "network/dynamic-routing" is in the minimal group.

As an experiment I can launch a PR (pull request) which simply removes network/routing from the minimal group, and see what happens.

But you are right, the "chicken and egg issue" is that if routed is NOT enabled during installation or immediately after install, then there may be some setups that do not get their routing tables dynamically and hence they are not able to route to pkg.openindiana.org and "pkg install network/routing" or "pkg install network/dynamic-routing" will not work, because the pkg install will be broken due to in.routed not running or not being enabled.

However in my understanding the bug report or rather the "feature"

https://www.illumos.org/issues/8587

is that this is correctly flagged as "feature" or "design decision" and not a bug.

Note that Feature #8587 is called "Feature" and not bug.

The assumption is that nowadays setups that require in.routed to run to figure out their routing tables, are less common than in the past; say back 30 or 35 years ago.

Anyway , I will launch the pull request, not to break things or to cause problems,
but my reasoning is that IPS and the distribution constructor (distro_const) are able to deal with this,
you could for example create in theory a distribution which includes dynamic routing.

Regards,
David Stes